Kayros

27 de febrero de 2008

Exploring the web... well, the true viewing the Nayeli's Blog, I see in the comments the name Verónica Poujol, she have a profile in blogger and I visited her blog Kayros - "The precise instant"...

I hear the word Kayros a long, long time ago... when I was reading an Aristoteles' book, in that occasion I wasn't search the meaning of the word... because I did a essay about Ibikus... But in this one, I read a lot about Kayros (I have been working on this issue since the morning. -now I'm still working on it-) and it's very interesting.
Kayros (καιρός)

Greek word related to time but not cronological; God's time. God lives in kayros while man lives in cronos (Greek word related to cronological events, or time).

Is an ancient Greek word meaning the "right or opportune moment". The ancient greeks had two words for time, chronos and kayros. While the former refers to chronological or sequential time, the latter signifies "a time in between", a moment of undetermined period of time in which "something" special happens. What the special something is depends on who is using the word. While chronos is quantitative, kayros has a qualitative nature.

Kayros was central to the Sophists, who stressed the rhetor's ability to adapt to and take advantage of changing, contingent circumstances. In Panathenaicus, Isocrates writes that educated people are those “who manage well the circumstances which they encounter day by day, and who possess a judgment which is accurate in meeting occasions as they arise and rarely misses the expedient course of action”.

Kayros is also very important in Aristoteles' scheme of rhetoric. Kayros is, for Aristoteles', the time and space context in which the proof will be delivered. Kayros stands alongside other contextual elements of rhetoric: The Audience which is the psychological and emotional makeup of those who will receive the proof; and, To Prepon which is the style with which the orator clothes their proof.
I think that the question is not how much time we have, but what we do with it and how we utilize it, we must begin to live in Kayros, in God's time, in the precise instant...

4 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Quite interesting, i had no idea of this at all.

Anyway, why the english? didn't want to translate the text? just because? wanna get stumblers? XD

(Actually the last one sounds like a good idea)

Xavier Narval dijo...

In fact I translate the text... to english

hahahaha!

It's because the Verónica Poujol's blog is in english... and for remember this language... :P

Verónica Poujol dijo...

Hi Xavier! I loved to read all this phylosophical concept underlying the word Kayros. It is even more interesting when I realized that It applies so good to the moment i am just experiencing in my life......! I appreciate indeed you have widen the information I had.

Anónimo dijo...
Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.